Thursday, March 21, 2013

When I am sick I crave these two things

When I was young I developed pneumonia and my Grandma Garbett told me to drink the following recipe; it cuts the mucus and soothes the throat. 

Here's Grandma Garbett's hot drink recipe:
1 cup hot water
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tablespoon of honey
a good pinch of cayenne pepper


I was told by my good friend Connie that I should add fresh ginger to it.  I like ginger so when I have some ginger root I bruise it and throw it into my cup to steep.  Even tastier and better for you!

I also crave my Spicy Chicken and Navy Bean Soup bag meal found on page 79.
If you don't have my book or can't find it at your library here's the recipe-

2-8 oz. cans tomato sauce
1-16oz can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1-13oz can chicken, drained or 1 pint home canned chicken
4 cups water
1-6.5 can sliced mushrooms

Re-closable bag:
3 TBL. dried onion
1 teas. garlic powder
1/4 cup dried bell pepper
1/2 teas. dried oregano
1/2 teas. dried parsley
1/2 teas. dried basil
1/4 teas. crushed red pepper flakes

Direction-
Mix all ingredients together in a medium pot and simmer for 10 minutes over medium heat.

Well, I'm off to bed with a mug full of hot drink, a mug of soup and a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment