Monday, February 4, 2013

Merci Beaucoup for Beef Short Ribs!

 
Trent told me that if I wasn't recovering from my surgery he would have taken me to Paris.  I laughed and said," ...more like Paris, Idaho!"  Hence, my beret. 

Even though we didn't travel to Paris, France or even Paris, Idaho, we did travel to our kitchen and had a marvelous time.  I sat at the kitchen bar with my leg propped up and Trent cooked and wrote the recipe down as we went along.  It was a bit of challenge, because I don't measure with traditional measuring tools; I use my hands and fingers.  A pinch of this a handful of that.  And as it is every time I write a cook book or someone in the family wants a recipe that is in my head or someone asks me to create a new recipe, I have to measure it out with my fingers or hand and then transfer it into a teaspoon or measure cup.

Trent patiently and diligently recorded the recipe.  As a result of his labors, we now have a recorded short rib recipe. 

Anniversary Beef Short Ribs

 

 


Serves 4 people

 1 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp oil

1 tsp crushed garlic

2 lbs of Beef-Short Ribs (about 3”x3” cubes)

1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)

2 bay leaves

1tsp Marjoram powder

1 cup of 100% red grape juice

½ tsp ground black pepper

3 Cups beef stock

1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp salt

 
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 F. Place the butter, oil, and garlic in a large baking pot. Melt together on high heat on the stove top. Add the meat and sear/brown the meat exterior on all sides.  Remove browned meat from pot and set aside.

 Add the chopped onion and bay leafs to remaining sauces in the pot and sate on medium heat; when onions are slightly soft stir in the Marjoram powder. Next add the grape juice, black pepper, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Bring the liquid to a full boil. Place the beef into the pot and cover with a lid.  Bake at 325 degrees F for 2-2.5 hours or until the meat is very tender.

 
To make gravy:

Remove the meat and set aside. Skim the fat/oils off the top of the remaining sauce/drippings in the pot.  In 1/4 cup of cool water, dissolve 1 Tbsp of corn starch. Place the drippings pot on the stove top on medium heat. Drizzle the starch solution into the drippings and stir continuously until it thickens into gravy.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment