Friday, April 5, 2013

What do I do with a recipe that makes 36 crepes?

Crepe batter can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days.  Just stir it up and cook.  You can also freeze crepes.  Simply, cook, cool and separate crepes with waxed paper or parchment and store in an air tight container.  Make sure crepes are completely thawed before separating.  I have had my keep for over 3 months before picking up the freezer taste.  Or you just might like to make what the Snow Family had for breakfast this fine rainy day.

Spicy Breakfast Crepes

Spicy Breakfast Crepes

5 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 pound spicy sausage, cooked
Salsa to taste
Garnish: Cilantro
6 crepes, cooked

Directions:
In a 12 inch pan cook sausage.  Place cooked sausage in a bowl.  Wipe out pan with a paper towel.  Mix eggs and cottage cheese together in pan and cook.  Add cooked sausage.  Place in center of crepe and fold.  Top with salsa and cilantro.

Serving size: This feeds our family of four with the men eating two and my daughter and I eating one each.

Loss leader info-  Today my 5 eggs at 0.07 cents each is 0.35 cents.  The cottage cheese was $1.99 for 24 oz., I only needed 4 ounces for that is 0.44 cents in cottage cheese.  The sausage was $1.99 a pound for Jimmy Dean Spicy Sausage and I used half a pound, that makes the cost $1.00.  Salsa was on sale for 0.98 cents a jar; I used 1/4 of a jar so that makes the cost for salsa 0.25 cents.  And cilantro was 0.69 a bunch, I clipped maybe an 1/8 of the bunch; this makes the cilantro cost 0.9 cents.  My crepes were free because I charge my budget for them yesterday.

Cost for 6 breakfast crepes: $2.13
(We also had milk to drink so the cost for the entire meal came to $3.01 for 4 people!)

Left overs:  3 eggs, most of the cottage cheese, salsa, cilantro, and 1/2 a pound of sausage.  Oh, and more crepes!

No comments:

Post a Comment