Friday, April 5, 2013

A manly picnic and an emergency meal for a neighbor

I was cleaning up after making Spicy Breakfast Crepes Trent asked if I would like to go fishing.  I love to fish!  I jumped at the chance.  Trent told me to get ready and he would make us a picnic. 
We went fishing and had a wonderful time being outdoors.  Trent's picnic consisted of a peanut butter and honey sandwich, Doritos and an apple.  I haven't had a peanut butter and honey sandwich since I was a kid.  It brought back memories and touched my heart knowing that my sweetheart made it for us.

Around 3:30 I needed to make an emergency dinner for a neighbor.  I hopped in the car and drove to the grocery store leaving Trent to fish until 6:00.  Luck was with me because when I got to the store I found many manager specials and reduced items to make a lovely dinner.  I found 20 ounce Buitoni 3 Cheese Tortellini for $4.99 (reduced from $8.99) and fresh grated parmesan cheese for $3.49 for 6 ounces.  Lettuce was 0.99 a head, tomatoes 0.99/pound, and cucumbers were 0.59/ea.
Another woman was going to make dinner rolls, which was a big relief, with no time for dough to rise. For dessert I made Nutella Cookies. They turned out delicious!  A keeper for sure.
Number of servings - 5 adult portions
Total Cost- $10.83 (This doesn't include the price of making the rolls)

Nutella Cookies

Nutella Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Nutella
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped hazelnuts

Directions- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugars, add vanilla, Nutella, and eggs. Mix well adding dry ingredients.  When mixed add chocolate chips and scoop onto parchment paper.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Allow cookies to rest for 5 minutes then transfer from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
Makes 36 cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment