Monday, March 12, 2012

You want what? Nachos at this time of night!

Well here I go again, the Snow family's short order cook is asked to make Sunday night nachos by the men in her life.  I browned hamburger that I had defrosted for tomorrow's sloppy joes and added a can of Western Family Chili Beans with sauce.  I then chopped some cilantro, tomatoes, and avocado.  I looked around in my pantry for some nacho cheese dip but couldn't find any so I made my own cheese sauce.  Trent said my cheese sauce tasted fresher and cleaner than the nacho cheese dip.  It was quick, easy, and best of all, I knew exactly what was in the cheese sauce and I also knew that the kitchen was clean and the cook washed her hands before making it!  Also, my homemade cheese sauce only cost me 10 cents for the chicken bouillon, 25 cents for the milk and $1.66 for the shredded cheese.  Total cost $2.01 instead of $4.99 for the nacho dip.

Cheese Sauce:
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1 8 oz pkg shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Whisk until creamy over medium heat
Add thickener:
Mix 1 T. corn starch dissolved in 3 T. water.  Pour into cheese mixture. Stir until thick and creamy and serve over th nachos.

2 comments:

  1. You never make nachos when I'm there. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad! I'll make you some next time you are home. Just ask for some heart attack on a plate and I'll make you some ;)

    ReplyDelete