Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Another night of reincarnated left-overs!

I am in the process of cleaning out my refrigerator.  That means I need to be very creative.  Here's what I did with what I found.
3 bell peppers I had purchase for .59 cents each.  One of them had a frozen spot.  Yes, the peppers were in the very back of the fridge.  I cut the peppers in half and cleaned them out.
Next I found a cup of match stick carrots.  They didn't smell all that fresh so I rinsed them under cool water and they tasted fine.  I then chopped an onion.  I also found 2 leftover stalks of celery so I sliced the celery up too.  I cooked the carrots, onion, and celery in about 2 tablespoons of oil along with 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic.

After the vegetables were tender I added about 1/3 cup of cooked barely pearls, 1/3 cup cooked wheat berries, and a 1/3 cup of quinoa.  These grains were leftover from morning breakfast.    I opened my fridge and spied 1/2 of a cooked butternut squash.  I cubed my find and added it to the mixture along with 2 raw eggs.  Mixed it up and filled the bell pepper halves.

I placed foil in a baking dish and baked the stuffed peppers for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  I served the stuffed peppers with tomato slices.  The tomatoes were on special last week for 59 cents a pound.  And a slice of rosemary olive oil bread.  For dessert I found a pint of homemade yogurt, which cost me 30 cents a pint to make and blueberries that were on special for $1.76 a box last week.


This meal was made from leftovers I had on hand.  However, the total cost if purchasing the items for this meal would be:
  •  Bell peppers ($.59 x 3 = $1.77)
  • 2 stalks celery ($.20)
  • 1/2 bag match stick carrots ($.64)
  • 1 small onion ($.30)
  • 2 eggs (Bought and preserved at $.69/dozen ($.10)
  • Grains ($.75)
  • Tomato ($.33)
  • Bread ($1.30)
  • Yogurt ($.30)
  • Blueberries ($1.76)
Total price- $7.45 for 6 servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment