Thursday, January 24, 2013

Michelle's Cherry Almond Cupcakes

A lot of friends have been calling and saying they are feeling a little blue.  I can't say I blame them with the dreary gray skies and the horrible inversion we are experiencing here in Utah.  It got me thinking about foods that are cheerful.  Immediately, I thought of a recipe I developed, a few months ago just as my latest book, Quality Cooking At A Fraction Of The Cost: Mastering The Art of Loss Leader Menu Planning was going to press.  Unfortunately, we were over page count and so it couldn't be added.

Hope you enjoy this yummy recipe; but, more importantly I hope you have a bright and "cherry" day!

Cherry Almond Cupcakes

2 c. cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt

1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar

2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

1 tsp. almond extract
2 tbsp. Maraschino cherry juice (From bottle of cherries)

2/3 c. milk
½ c. chopped almonds

½ c. chopped maraschino cherries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and eggs.  Add extracts, juice and milk.  Add dry ingredients.  Next add cherries and nuts.  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool completely before frosting.


Frosting:

1 c. softened butter
3 cups powder sugar
1 tbsp.  Milk

1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
In a medium bowl combine all ingredients, mixing until smooth.
Tip:  To make these delightful cupcakes even more attractive, I frost, sprinkle with chopped almonds, and top with a maraschino cherry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment