Monday, January 30, 2012

Brown Rice


You aren't going to believe this one!  Two years ago I was given probably 50 pounds of brown rice that had expired.  The rice was fine; it didn't smell or taste rancid.  I decided to run an experiment to see how long it would last in my cool basement.  I canned it in number 10 cans and placed an oxygen absorber packet in each can and forgot about my little experiment.

Well, last night while I was organizing my basement, I found the brown rice and decided to open it.  I prepared myself for the horrible odor that accompanies rancid food.  Much to my surprise the rice smelled perfectly normal.  I brought it upstairs and ate some and it tasted nutty and delicious.  I couldn't believe my nose or tastebuds! 

If you have ever attended one of my lectures or demos you know I always stress that for extended shelf life you must control the three enemies of food storage, light, oxygen, and heat.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't personally experienced it...So when you read that brown rice expires in 6 months. Think again.  Brown rice not going rancid after 2  years; now that's amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment